Primary learning includes whole-class, group and individual activities designed to develop an inquiring mind and teach basic learning skills needed for schooling and later life.
Literacy and numeracy are the building blocks of learning and that is why English and mathematics take up half of students' learning time in primary school.
Kindergarten to Year 6 focuses on six key learning areas:
- Science and technology
- Human society and its environment
- Personal development, health and physical education
- Creative arts
Primary school in NSW follows a curriculum based on stages of learning. Each stage is approximately equivalent to two school years. For each learning stage there are skills, knowledge and a level of understanding that each student should develop.
Early Stage 1 refers to Kindergarten
Stage 1 includes Years 1 and 2
Stage 2 includes Years 3 and 4
Stage 3 includes Years 5 and 6
- Navigate to the School Years sections to find out more
In addition to the six learning areas, ChiFUNese is an after school Mandarin languages program offered to all families. This program is parent paid.
* ChiFUNese classes at Allambie Heights P.S. are held on Mondays 3.20pm-4.20pm in the school library. New students are welcome to join for a FREE trial lesson. Go to www.chifunese.com/trial to register.
* Why learn Chinese? Mandarin Chinese is the world's most spoken language with 1 in every 5 people in the world speaking it; China is the world's second largest economy and Australia's largest trading partner; learning Chinese also enhances cognitive capabilities because it uses both sides of the brain whereas speaking English only uses the left side of the brain!
* ChiFUNese program teaches the Chinese language and culture through fun games and activities. The popular program is at held at 35+ schools and early learning centres.